Zoom Live Transcripts (Live Captions)
Follow the steps in this document to turn on Zoom’s live captioning service called Live Automatic Transcriptions. We recommend using live captions for all your Zoom Meetings and Webinars.
Note: If you receive an accommodation request for captions, you will need to use a Live Human Captioner instead of automatic captions.
Enabling the Live Automatic Transcription Service in Zoom
Following these steps will activate the feature for all future meetings or webinars created in account.
- Log into UNC’s Zoom website with your ONYEN
- Click Settings from the left side menu
- Click In Meeting (Advanced) or scroll down to that section of the settings.
- Turn on Closed captioning (the slider will move to the right and become blue)
- Under that option check the box that says Enable live transcription service to show transcript on the side panel in-meeting. If you do not see this option then your account does not yet have this feature activated. It will be rolling out to all users in the coming weeks.
- Click Save to confirm that setting
Starting the Live Automatic Transcriptions During a Meeting or Webinar
Note: Only the host can turn auto transcriptions on or off.
- Click the Live Transcript button from the Zoom control bar
- At the bottom of this window click Enable Auto-Transcription
- The meeting host will immediately see the transcripts at the bottom of the Zoom meeting video.
- A set of options will be available for host and attendees by clicking the small arrow on the Live Transcript button. These options allow attendees to view and adjust the transcriptions.
- These new settings are:
- Show Subtitle
- The transcript will appear as video subtitles at the bottom of the video frame.
- View Full Transcript
- The transcript will appear in a side-panel Transcript window, and the full transcript to that point may be saved by clicking Save Transcript. Host and attendees can also search the transcript by entering text into the Search transcript field at the top of the window.
- Subtitle Settings
- Participants can change the appearance of the subtitles
- Show Subtitle